Jump into Learning a New Language during Quarantine!

Hello All!

Boy, have I missed my little blog. I figured this time would be great to pick up old hobbies from the comfort of my home, so I want to help you do the same :). 

© photo by Lean Stone Book Club


As much as I want to spend a penny for your thoughts, I think I have a pretty good guess as to what the first one is. 
       
"Where do I start? Learning a new language is much easier said than done."

And I TOTALLY agree with you. I have been learning french for many years, and as much as I want to say it's as easy as watching a few videos to become proficient, that is not realistic. Which brings me to step one of learning a new language:

1. Be patient and set realistic goals.
I know, I know. Where's the fun in not being able to say you learned an ENTIRE language in a matter of weeks? Although anything is possible, I am here to say that spending the time to really enjoy learning the language is more than half the fun. seriously. My experience using multiple different resources to learn a single language has created a diverse learning experience that I have no desire to take back. Speaking of different resources....

2. Be creative in the types of learning mediums you use
There are so, so many different resources you can use when learning a new language. Many of them serve different purposes during your journey. The first may shock you - pen and paper :0. It is so easy to neglect pen and paper in this age, but spending the time to sit and write creates an immersive experience that you would not otherwise get on a phone or computer. 

You may be able to guess my next big resource. Duolingo! I have tried many other language learning applications and websites, but I have to say that Duolingo is the only way I have sticked with long term. If you have an interest in learning multiple languages at once like myself, I find that Duolingo is formatted beautifully for just this purpose. It is so simple to go from practicing my French to my Japanese in the click of a button. Also, its reward system and outlined curriculum makes it an amazing experience for even those learning a single language. (I could definitely explain in-depth how to get the most out of Duolingo, so I hope to dedicate a post to it in the future). 
Despite Duo being my personal favorite, there are countless other free applications that may just work better for you! 

3. Virtual Immersion
So, you've downloaded Duolingo, and you're writing down tricky vocabulary words. It doesn't seem like enough, does it? Well, it isn't! It is SO important to find a way to get connected with fluent speakers in a safe, controlled environment. My favorite app for just this purpose is HelloTalk! With this app you can choose to talk with people who speak the language you are learning while you can help them learn yours! It is very, very important to be sure to be safe and never give out any personal information to a stranger. 
Another immersive resource is to research a possible penpal to send letters in the language you want to learn (this may require at least an intermediate level proficiency, while HelloTalk is more beginner-friendly ;) ). Again, it is important to be safe and possibly invest in a P.O. box. 


4. Switch up everyday tasks
As a film buff, this is one of my favorites. You may have seen a show where a character has to learn object based vocabulary, so they cover their home in sticky notes labelling the item in the other language. Not only is this a great idea, but it sets the basis for more mentally-challenging translation tasks. For example, many choose to change the language on their phone. My only recommendation with this is to make sure you know how to reverse the effects, because takes the convenience of a cell-phone away almost instantly. But, if you're up for the challenge, go for it! 
Next, watch your favorite movies and t.v. shows in the language you're learning. At first, it will be complete gibberish. But the more you find yourself doing this, the more natural it becomes. 
Similarly, you can listen to music and read children's books in a different language. This is great, because it also forces you to dive into a more cultural aspect of the language. 

What are you waiting for? Have fun and take your time embarking on this tricky, yet fun journey <3. 

i love you all, 
Tatiana









Comments

Popular Posts

Follow me on Pinterest :)